Looking for a way to invigorate your documentation team and grow that team to include developers, designers, and writers of all backgrounds? Plus, how about inviting some robots into the mix for good measure? Let’s treat docs like code.
Treating docs like code is:
- Collaborating with contributors efficiently by keeping docs close to code or in the same system as code, with a source file concept and an output for deliverables.
- Building documentation as repeatably and consistently as possible across multiple platforms. While typically done with open source tools, the main driver is not open source but open, repeatable, consistent collaboration.
- Applying software development tools and techniques to documentation about software, application programming interfaces (APIs), or other technical topics.
- Learning enough about web development to be dangerous and create beautiful, modern docs.
- Valuing technical accuracy and consistency.
- Trusting team members to value documentation, respect end-users needs, and advocate for the best deliverables for consumers of the documentation.
- Automating and integrating documentation builds so you and your teams can focus on content.